Community Ambassadors Programme
The Scottish Government is developing a race equality framework for Scotland to tackle racism and promote equality. We need your help to make sure the new framework reflects the needs, priorities and experiences of minority ethnic people in Scotland.
CRER and the Scottish Government are inviting all minority ethnic community and voluntary groups in Scotland to nominate someone to become a Community Ambassador. This person could be a volunteer, committee member or a member of staff.
Community Ambassadors will:
- Help the people you work with to influence the Scottish Government, by running a Community Discussion using the workshop plan we provide
- Gain extra skills in group facilitation during one of our Community Ambassadors training days on 28th May in Glasgow, 12th June in Perth, 22nd June in Edinburgh or 23rd June, again in Glasgow
- Add to their personal achievements through becoming a Community Ambassador
- Receive travel expenses and a gift of £20 to thank them for their time and effort
Community Ambassadors need to:
- Be nominated by the organisation or group they work / volunteer with – maximum of one person per project (so groups with several projects can nominate more than one person)
- Have some experience of leading discussions with the people they work with
The tasks Community Ambassadors will do are:
- Coming to a training day about using our Community Conversation workshop plan
- Bringing together a group of people from minority ethnic backgrounds for a Community Discussion on any date between 29th May and 29th July 2015 (this can be during a regular meeting, or it can be a one-off event that your organisation holds)
- Helping the group to come to agreements about what they want to tell the Scottish Government, using the Community Conversation workshop plan we provide
- Writing the group’s answers into a form, with clear writing, in English
- Sending the results of the Community Discussion to us within five working days
Ready to nominate a Community Ambassador?
Please ask the person who will represent your organisation as a Community Ambassador to register for one of our Community Ambassador training days, in Glasgow, Perth or Edinburgh. Travel expenses will normally be available for attendance at your nearest venue - a copy of our reimbursement policy can be provided when you register.
We encourage everyone to register online at Eventbrite. This ensures your registration can be processed easily.
However, if the Eventbrite registration isn’t suitable for you, please register by telephoning Nadia Rafiq at CRER on 0141 4186530. You will need to tell Nadia which event you wish to attend, your name and contact details, details about the organisation which has nominated you to become a Community Ambassador and any dietary or accessibility requirements you have.